Leon was with Ministry of Education (MOE), Singapore, between 2001 and 2014. While he was with the MOE, he served as a secondary school teacher and had taken on leadership appointments such as Subject Head (Design and Technology) and Head of Department (covering) who oversees the development of the Art and Design & Technology curriculum and the professional development of the Art and D&T teachers in the department.
Leon arrived in Japan in 2007 under the AYF and Monbukagakusho scholarship. Before returning back to Singapore in 2013, Leon had completed the Master of Design (Environment and Heritage Design) and Doctor of Design (Environment and Heritage Design) in 2010 and 2013 respectively. Leon continued to serve in MOE as a secondary school teacher till the end of 2014. In 2015, he has founded DESIGN-RE-SEARCH LAB with the hope to continue to contribute to education through his research.
In April 2016, Leon has joined Kyushu University, Faculty of Design, as an assistant professor where he continues his education and research activities.
Design education curriculum
Development of design thinking skills,
Design of Learning Environment
Integrative learning experience and curriculum design.
Education has the power to change the lives of people and at the same time shape how our society can be at the present and in the future. In support of the Sustainable Development Goals to “ensure inclusive and equitable quality education and promote lifelong learning opportunities for all”, design for education and design in education can play a powerful role in education to:
- develop future teaching and learning tools and environments to support learners with different learning styles and abilities;
- develop 21st century competencies, that promote life-long learning, through design activities in design education; and
- develop future professionals in the use of design to respond to present and future issues through design education.
To achieve the above, the current scope of research activities in lab include, but not limited to:
- the study of school learning environments to support teaching and learning effectiveness for design education at pre-tertiary level.
- the study of key elements (that include curriculum development, teaching and learning strategies, assessment for learning, teaching and learning tools etc.) required in the development of critical thinking skills and creativity through design education at pre-tertiary level.
- the study of design education at tertiary level to establish and clarify the necessary knowledge and skills to be developed at undergraduate level relevant to respond to the growing regional and global issues.
Dr. Leon LOH
undergraduate (Year 4)
2018: 2 members
Main research areas:
- Research: The Developments of Tents used in Modern Japanese Mountain Climbing: Based on the Period from the Dawn of Japanese Mountain Climbing to Present Time
- Research: A Research on the Effectiveness of Educational Facilities for Design Education in Elementary School: An Example Based on Art Subject in Public Elementary Schools in Fukuoka City
2019: 2 members
Main research areas:
- Research: Educational envrionment for design education in primary school
- Research: Redesigning learning environments to improve learning motivation